Maison Commune du Chemin-Vert
In the founding work on garden cities, To-morrow: A Peaceful Path to Real Reform (1898), Ebenezer Howard encouraged merging collective services.
In line with this model, the Maison Commune cultural centre included a library and a medical centre in the left-hand wing and a “circular restaurant” and administrative offices in the righthand wing. In the centre, a vestibule opened on to a large events hall located to the rear (space for around 500 people).
The building was also home to a domestic school where pupils could learn to manage and maintain a household, and public baths in the basement because the majority of houses did not have bathrooms, although they were equipped with sinks, washtubs and a toilet.
It is now managed by the City of Reims and is “dedicated to amateur arts led by professional artists”, although it still houses a library and a variety of associations.
- 0,5 km Maison de Champagne Ruinart
- 0,6 km Musée Automobile Reims Champagne
- 0,7 km Maison de Champagne Vranken-Pommery - : fermeture à partir de lundi 16/03/2020 pour deux semaines
- 0,8 km Villa Demoiselle
- 0,9 km Maison de Champagne Taittinger
- 1,1 km Maison de Champagne G.H. Martel & Co
- 1,4 km Basilique Saint-Remi
- 1,4 km Musée Saint-Remi